Students will follow powerpoint to review key topics that will be covered on the assessment.
To review for the end of unit assessment, students will play a specifically designed Kahoot.
1. Show YouTube to introduce Pedigrees
2. Review Page 1 of Pedigree packet, figure 1. Students answer questions 1-14 independently.
3. Review Pedigrees of Ptolomey and Queen Victoria
4. Review page 2 of Pedigree packet
5. Review page 4 of Pedigree packet and complete figures 1 and 2 as a class and figure 3 independently.
6. Students complete pedigree packet
HS-LS3-1. Ask questions to clarify relationships about the role of DNA and chromosomes in coding the instructions for characteristic traits passed from parents to offspring.
Objective: Students will be able to understand heredity and how genetics are passed from parents to offspring
1. How Mendel’s pea plants helped us understand genetics by Hortensia Jimenez Diaz ( 3:06) Youtube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mehz7tCxjSE
2. Mendel Preszi http://prezi.com/zghms6qawjep/?utm_campaign=share&utm_medium=copy&rc=ex0share
3. Biology Interactive Reader
4. Mendel's Law and Monohybrid Crosses Notes Worksheet
5. Gregor Mendel: Great Minds SciShow Youtube (10:54) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GTiOETaZg4w
2/5/15 : Probability and Inheritable Traits
HS-LS3-3. Apply concepts of statistics and probability to explain the variation and distribution of expressed traits in a population
Objective: To understand probability. To review how traits can be dominant or recessive and how they appear in populations.
Part 1: Probability
Part 2: Class Traits
1. Using the Class Traits Allele Lab worksheet, go through the list of dominant and recessive alleles.
a. For each trait have students raise hands and take a count of the number of students with that trait. Then determine the percentage
2. Have students create a graph with the class data
a. Collect Graph
3. Have students complete Analysis Questions from Lab Sheet
Standard: HS-LS3-1 Ask questions to clarify relationships about the role of DNA and chromosomes in coding the instructions for characteristics passed from parents to offspring.
Click here to explore concepts such as DNA, genes, Mutations and other related topics.
Part 1: Transcription and Translation Overview YouTube/Lecture
Part 2: Completion of the Summary of Protein Synthesis Worksheet
Part 3: Crashcourse DNA Structure YouTube
Part 4: Book section 8.4 answer questions
Students are to understand the structure of DNA
Part 1: Lecture on structure of DNA
Press found here: http://prezi.com/s-fy76ilvscc/?utm_campaign=share&utm_medium=copy&rc=ex0share
Part 2: DNA Structure Worksheet
Part 1: The DNA Double Helix Discovery Video
Part 2: DNA Structure Model
Students are to create a poster of the DNA structure.
Here are some examples
Students are to use EBSCO host to search for scientific articles based upon Genetics/DNA/Genetic Disorders/Genetically Modified foods. After identifying an article, students are to perform a literature review of the article.