To review for the end of unit assessment, students will play a specifically designed Kahoot.
1. Show YouTube to introduce Pedigrees
2. Review Page 1 of Pedigree packet, figure 1. Students answer questions 1-14 independently.
3. Review Pedigrees of Ptolomey and Queen Victoria
4. Review page 2 of Pedigree packet
5. Review page 4 of Pedigree packet and complete figures 1 and 2 as a class and figure 3 independently.
6. Students complete pedigree packet
HS-LS3-1. Ask questions to clarify relationships about the role of DNA and chromosomes in coding the instructions for characteristic traits passed from parents to offspring.
Objective: Students will be able to understand heredity and how genetics are passed from parents to offspring
1. How Mendel’s pea plants helped us understand genetics by Hortensia Jimenez Diaz ( 3:06) Youtube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mehz7tCxjSE
2. Mendel Preszi http://prezi.com/zghms6qawjep/?utm_campaign=share&utm_medium=copy&rc=ex0share
3. Biology Interactive Reader
4. Mendel's Law and Monohybrid Crosses Notes Worksheet
5. Gregor Mendel: Great Minds SciShow Youtube (10:54) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GTiOETaZg4w
2/5/15 : Probability and Inheritable Traits
HS-LS3-3. Apply concepts of statistics and probability to explain the variation and distribution of expressed traits in a population
Objective: To understand probability. To review how traits can be dominant or recessive and how they appear in populations.
Part 1: Probability
Part 2: Class Traits
1. Using the Class Traits Allele Lab worksheet, go through the list of dominant and recessive alleles.
a. For each trait have students raise hands and take a count of the number of students with that trait. Then determine the percentage
2. Have students create a graph with the class data
a. Collect Graph
3. Have students complete Analysis Questions from Lab Sheet